Sunday, August 13, 2017

They do it every year

Somehow...these sweet babes of mine...do something terrible every year. They know my favorite momma title is "summer mom"...they know our family loves late night grilling dinners...they know how much I love a good pool day with them...they know how great outdoor fire pits and s'mores are...they know I love them home with me...BUT...they still have to start school every year. And yes...I still tear up on the first day of school...and yes...I know I am crazy! School just started and Maddie actually caught me tearing up in the car when Ty walked in to school. Of course...in Maddie fashion...she put her sweet hand on my shoulder and said "He will be fine momma...I will be fine too...we go this!"...which of course made me tear up even more! As I drove away from her school I started thinking of some things I would love to share with them...right now...exactly at the ages they are at. So...I thought a list might be a theaputic way for me to deal with them growing up...and maybe even help them through out this year. And...since they are both so different and at such different stages of life...I figured I would make a list for each of them.
Here it goes...
Maddie -
1 - PLEASE stay sweet. I truly love your sassy sense of humor...but make sure that the sass stays there. Don't be one of the mean girls...ever! I promise you...it is always better to be sweet and kind. Even if you don't feel like you "win" in a situation...you will always sleep better at night knowing that you tried to be nice. Nice matters baby girl...and it always will!
2 - Keep your girlfriends. You have some pretty stinking amazing girl friends. Like...for real...their mommas have done an amazing job! All of them are different and all of them bring different lights to your life. They will annoy you (here is a secret...you will annoy them too at times. I know...I am sure you just gasped...how can little miss perfect be annoying?!? :-) Don't worry...you will all annoy each other from time to time). Look past what annoys you and find the good in them. Relationships always go through ups and downs...but the good girlfriends who really love you...keep them...close! They will walk through a lot with you and their love and support will be invaluable. They will also be the best people to eat chocolate with when a boy breaks your heart...which brings me to my next point...
3 - Boys...UGH! Boys are so weird at this stage....and kind of annoying...and...just...well...off! Don't let any boy determine your value. He can't. Don't let him! With that being said...it's ok and even fun to have crushes...just make sure you still always tell me about them while we have our coffee dates. And...it is so great just to have guy friends! I promise you...find some boys that are just your friend. They will totally help you and give you such a different perspective on any issues you might have. I promise you...good guy friends will stay with you through out high school!
4 - Please stay "weird". I know you pride yourself on your weird faces and goofy jokes...keep those. Don't take yourself too seriously. SO many girls at your age already do...or they might start...don't follow that trend. Be funny. Be silly. Make weird faces in selfies. Don't feel the need to always be perfect or look perfect. Have fun. Don't stress outfits and hair every morning. Be okay to just be you...and try to hang out with other people who are the same way
5 - Perfection is unattainable. You HAVE to hear this one sweetness. I know you. You cannot always be perfect. You will mess up. You will get a B every now and then (gasp). You will not always get the part you want in the plays you do. You will mess up and audition...and probably multiple auditions. You will have off days when you have an attitude. You will fail some times. It's OK! I promise! Not always being perfect will teach you SO much! You are not and never will be a failure! It's just not in you. But be ok to be "off" every once in a while. I will always be here with a coffee date and a pedicure...and that will ALWAYS help. I got you sweetie...and whether you are having the best day or the worst day...whether you were amazing or if you screwed up royally...whether you get the part or not...I am always proud of you and I will always believe in you. Always, always, ALWAYS!!
6 - Growing up is a part of life. You will go through weird phases and you and I might even go through some weird phases. It's ok. Hormones will come and go...fads will come and go...interests will come and go...but baby girl...I will always be in your corner rooting you on. You've got this. My little A type girl can conquer almost anything you put your mind to...and I love that. Just know that growing up will come in stages. Some of those stages will be amazing...some...won't be our favorites...but your momma will be with you every step of the way and we will tackle them together.
7 - Keep singing baby girl. I love that you still break out in to a song and tap dance when we are in line at the grocery store. Keep that. Maybe not ALWAYS when we are out in public :-)...but keep that song in your heart. Go after what you love the most. Keep practicing what you love and always remember "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard".
8 - You are loved...endlessly. Always remember that you are so loved by your dad and I...and so many other amazing people. This year will be amazing for you...and on the days that you don't feel the amazing-ness...just remember that you are loved and an amazing day will come again soon.

Tyler
1 - Be you. Goodness I love you boo. I love your long winded stories that you tell. I love your intelligence and love of all things science. I love your artsy side and your creativity. Don't change any of that. Be you buddy...even if you are different...and even if you are the same as others. Don't work so hard to be an individual that you lose who you really are...and don't ever try too hard to fit in that you lose who you are. Just. Be. You. Because you are my favorite!
2 - Stay sweet. You are such a sweet and thoughtful kid. Please don't ever change. You might get hurt..and people might take advantage of you...that's ok. Being sweet and kind will always be the right choice. And...if anyone ever does hurt you...you just let me know...and I will never tell you where the body is hidden (I'm kidding...kind of...not really). Keep loving everyone...from all different backgrounds and beliefs. Many times the people that seem the most "different", are the people that will enrich and change your life for the better. Don't stress about who is a "cool kid"...just love people.
3 - Keep your head in the clouds. I know...I know... I have spent years trying to help you focus and stay on task...and you really are doing so much better at that...I am so proud of you. But...sometimes...it's ok to keep your head in the clouds. Keep imagining...keep creating...keep exploring...keep looking at the stars. I will help you stay on task when you need to...and I will remind you if you forget. But try so hard to keep a good balance of "staying on top of things" along with being the wonderful and sometimes absent minded you...because I love that you (as long as that you still finishes his homework and projects and still does his chores)!
4 - Keep giving me hugs randomly. You will never know how much it means to my heart when you randomly hug me and tell you that you love me. There is just something magical about it..and I notice each one. I notice each hug while I cook dinner...I remember the random hugs while I am rushing around with work...my heart melts when you rush over to me and hug me in front of your friends. Even if I don't make a huge deal about then...I love your hugs. And I love that you are never ashamed to give them to me. Thank you boo.
5 - Girls...UGH! I know you have a special someone right now...and I know she means a ton to you. Thank you for telling me so much about her. Thank you for wanting me to know details about the two of you. Thank you for being open and honest. I am so happy that you are happy. With that being said...if you ever aren't happy...or if you need help...or advice...or a way out...Please know that I am here. You are so thoughtful and I want to make sure that your heart is always being filled and that you are being loved on as well. Don't ever settle buddy. Don't ever think that you are "stuck" in a high school relationship...you aren't.  You have so much to offer and this momma bear will always be pretty protective of your heart...sorry not sorry!
6 - Lets always talk. I know you are getting to an age that talking can be over rated...and I totally get that...but...lets always take some time to talk and catch up. Maddie and I have coffee dates and pedicures...which makes it a little easier for her and I to talk and catch up. You and I will have to work a little harder at it...but I want to make sure that we both put in the effort. Drag me out of the house some nights when you are looking at stars...remind me that we need to catch up. And...be ok if I drag you on some shopping errands...I am only doing it so I can get a pulse on where you are at...and most likely you will still get a cool pair of shoes out of the shopping trip...so it's still a win!
7 - Keep writing songs. I know they frustrate you sometimes...and I know that the words don't always come easily...but keep writing. And keep your songs in a journal. Someday...you will look back on them and love some of them...laugh at others...and have possible new songs based off of them. But I promise you...you will be happy that you wrote and you will be happy that you kept them. Daddy and I still love looking back through his old songs...and maybe someday you will look back at them with someone special in your life...just sayin'.
8 - You are loved...TONS! Things are going to happen this year. Some great things...and probably some hard things...that's just life. But I will ALWAYS be here for you and I will always love you...nothing can ever change that.

Well...now I am tearing up again...geez...I am a mess! I am so thankful for my babes and I can't wait to see what this year has in store for them. 2017/2018 school year...Here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment